There are 7 things that you can do to become a better software developer and software engineer:
- Set-aside time, like one or two hours per week, to read technical books or papers related to your field of work. Set-aside time to read one technical paper or book that is not related to your field of work per month.
Recommended (software) engineering books:
– Mythical Man-Month: https://amzn.to/3dyJQKa
– Design Patterns: https://amzn.to/3GvnKog
– The Pragmatic Programmer: https://amzn.to/3rNm4m4
– Upstream: https://amzn.to/3oBGht6
– The Innovation Stack: https://amzn.to/3EGPpSO
– Clean Code: https://amzn.to/3oDRdq4
- Listen to podcasts, or watch screencasts about new technologies and approaches.
- Attend conferences and talks and most importantly try to ask questions or at least write down questions and try to figure out the answer for your self.
- Have fun! If you have fun doing something you will also become good at it.
- Discuss problems with your co-workers, you might be surprised how much you can learn from a good discussion.
- Help others, sometimes there is no better and satisfactory way than helping someone to solve a technical problem.
- Try something new! Whether it is a new programming language, new software architecting tool or a new software process model you’ll never know when you need it.
To get more details on the 7 things you should do to become a better software engineer, watch my video below: